Main » 2018 » October » 29 » About Relationship Betwen Sensistive People and Narcissists
About Relationship Betwen Sensistive People and Narcissists
The following are further reasons why HSPs are often attracted to narcissists:
[ this article is taken by one our client from the site psycholoytoday.com this article helped him to understand many things. That why we decided to publish some advice . Maybe it will help to somebody else]
1. Our giving nature means we often put other people’s needs before our own.
2. We’re so open we take on other people’s stuff like emotional storage containers.
3. If you have low self-esteem you can overlook the signs that things aren’t right, that you aren’t being treated right and so you ignore the injuries to your self and let it continue.
4. If you feel like a victim or have been victimised in the past, you will project that belief outwards. Narcissists will pick up on it and home in on you as a target. (See my post Feeling Like a Victim)
5. HSP’s sensitivity to other people’s feelings means it can feel wrong to say no. We think since we can feel it, we must do something about it. But we are not responsible for other people’s feelings.
The way to stop attracting narcissists is to change your beliefs about yourself and the way you feel about yourself. Here’s how:
1. Set up boundaries to keep yourself safe. Learn to let in people who will be there for you and keep out the people who only want something from you. I highly recommend the book Boundariesfor specifics on how to set and enforce your boundaries and keep negative people out of your personal space.
2. Focus on your positive qualities and feel good about yourself, by yourself. Write in a journal to get your feelings out and develop an awareness of who you are, your feelings and your beliefs. Read back over what you’ve written over a period of weeks or months to see how you’re responding to situations and you’ll begin to see patterns in your behaviour and your beliefs about yourself and your relationships.
3. Learn how to use your sensitivity and empathy for the good. Two of the best uses are helping other people in a volunteer or charitable role and channelling it into a creative pursuit. Using your creative energy, in either volunteering or creative ways, will help you to feel grounded. You will feel a sense of belonging and connection to the wider world, and that you have an essential place in it. By shifting your energy into an activity you are passionate about, you will also give yourself something positive to focus on so that you’re not focusing solely on giving to someone who is making demands of your energy and attention. At the same time, you will be filling your life with positive feelings. Without this connection, you can feel frightened and alone and afraid to let go of what’s bad for you and too easily forget that you are connected to everything and that you are loved and safe.